Thursday, February 13, 2014

Blog 6

Blog 6:  In class we talked about the differences among a topic, a focus, and the particular research questions you might ask as you conduct your research. 


Topic: The struggles of  ESL in grade school: How the students' and teacher overcomes the struggle of language barriers.

Specific Focus: For this research paper I want to focus on how the students and teacher overcome the struggle of language barriers. I want to get a better understanding of how the students resolve their problems in the classroom of to "say, be, and do" in a new language. I want to analyze their attitudes and behaviors in the classroom-- are they motivated to go to ESL class or not. 
  • Are students motivated or ashamed to be in ESL 
  • Body language in the classroom-- interactive or not. 
  • Are student engaged in lesson and understanding of the material


What I want to do in my study: Being that someday I want to become an ESL teacher, I would like to get a better understanding of how students feel towards learning a new language/ culture and their attitudes. As the teacher I would like to know what I can personally do to help my students be motivated and learn the new language. What methods work what methods don't work (playing games, homework, etc.) I will observe an ESL classroom and interview that teacher to collect my data. 


1 comment:

  1. Interview ESL teacher and ESL student. Attitudes and motivations in the ESL classroom.

    ReplyDelete