Monday, February 3, 2014

Blog 3

Before this class, I never really analyzed the way language is used. I have always been able to take apart a sentence and communicate a thought. This course has really made me think critically of the language people use and the underlying meaning of what they are actually saying. I have recently found myself "over analyzing" the way people speak to each other, to me and how I speak to others. ENG 3029 has also introduced me to a new vocabulary, which I think will help me improve the way I communicate and write.


Discourse-language in use; how we relay our thoughts using words. Put patterns for talk: the way language is used.
  • letters
  • words
  • sentences
Classroom discourse- The way language is used inside of a classroom. Teacher is speaking in front of classroom and students are sitting, listening to their teacher.
  • formal
  • questions
  • language use
  • IRE
  • values
Analysis- the way we separate material and put them into categories and features. It is a detailed summary of our deeper interpretation of an element.
Discourse analysis: how you use the language: cultural connection. Finding something in common with the other people to develop a connection.
Lexis- language within discourse; vocabulary. Each region has its own lexis.
Genre- The way a piece of art, literature, movie or music, is categorized depending on its specific elements and features.
  • Literature: folk tale, fiction, non-fiction, poem, fairy tale, fantasy,etc.
  • Movies: comedy, romantic, horror, etc.
  • Art: abstract, animated, portrait, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment