Monday, April 7, 2014

Blog 17

I chose to analyze data that was not as direct as the excerpts from Blog 13. As I analyzed and dug deeper into these excerpts I realized how significant it is for my research. 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
1. 

M    So what inspired you to go into the ESL field?
C     I was an ESL student myself, and in my second year of teaching I actually taught a first grade and second grade combined class and I had all the ESL students for the second grade and first grade. The ESL teacher would come into my classroom, every afternoon during my literacy period and she would teach the ESL students in a small group instruction and as the year progressed I looked at her and thought “wow, that is really something I would like to do” especially since I had the experience of being an ESL student; I would like to give back and become a teacher to them.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2. 

C     Sure, it’s frustrating but you get by it. You know, you overcome it. Many times I say if they don’t understand the lesson, look at him, look at her, look at what they are doing. I’ve modified the lesson for this young lady because we are so advanced in the classroom right now in what we are doing. I’m practicing the writing with them on the topic—whatever the topic may be and she can’t do that. So im reinforcing phonics with her. Im starting with the letter “A” and going through the phonics pages. “This is “A” this is the sound.” And I’m teaching her vocabulary, basically. So I have to differentiate my lesson.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
3.
C     I do a lot of observations of their skills and I know how to communicate with them with the one who have more English opposed who have less English so ill modify my vocabulary for the ones who don’t have as much English. We are actually coming up right now it’s only the one major evaluation at the end of the year. We are starting it next week and that’s the WIDA access --- W.I.D.A. Access. We are going to test each student individually at the kindergarten level with reading, writing, listening, and speaking. And we get the results next year in September and that will determine if the students have passed the ESL program. And the test is very difficult because the student—if they do not past the writing, they won’t exit the program. I also do a lot of writing with them so I could see a lot of writing and phonics and all the other worksheets so I see how they are progressing so I can tell how much they are doing and I reinforce those skills, as well, continuously.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

4. 

M    Can you just tell me a story or just events with students who don’t speak the language, right out of a new country and..
C     Oh! Any of them cry. They don’t want to come to school. The student who I was just referring to, she came in last month. I met with her and the morning, her mother was there. She told her who I was and that I was going to come get her. When I went to go get her, two hours later, she didn’t want to come with me. (Melanie laughs.) No, I said, I was trying to express to her “remember your mom? I was here?” she was like “no, I’m not coming.” So then it was snack time and I went and got her snack and I said “let’s go. Let’s go to my classroom.” I held her hand and I brought her upstairs and I bribed her with a snack. And every day since she’s been fine. She even hugs me in the morning; she’s all smiles. So most of them don’t want to come with me, they don’t understand why they are leaving their classroom, the security of their own teacher and the students and coming with me. And once they get accustomed to it they’re okay.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment